Monday, December 15, 2014

Lewis Hamilton Wins BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2014

Lewis Hamilton has been voted the BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2014.

The 29-year-old Mercedes driver won his second Formula 1 world title this season and joined an exclusive club by becoming the fourth Briton to win the drivers' championship at least twice.
Lewis Hamilton Wins BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2014
Lewis Hamilton Wins BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2014.
Northern Irish golfer Rory McIlroy was runner-up, with athlete Jo Pavey third.

"I was sitting there saying Rory's going to have it," said Hamilton, who earned 34% of the vote. "I thought it had to be someone else."

The Englishman won 209,920 of the 620,932 votes cast, with McIlroy getting 123,745 (20%) and Pavey 99,913 (16%).

"I want to say a huge thank you to all the people who called in, I really wasn't expecting it," he added.

"I am so speechless. I'm so proud and honoured to be among such great sporting talent."

Hamilton was runner-up to boxer Joe Calzaghe in 2007 and Sir Chris Hoy the following year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Recent Post